Gordon Russell Marlow Rosewood Sideboard

Gordon Russell rosewood ‘Marlow’ Sideboard

  • Long low design by Martin Hall for Gordon Russell, 1960s.
  • Four book-matched doors open to reveal maple drawers and shelves.
  • Top drawer velvet lined and partitioned for cutlery. 
  • Delivery to England included in price. Please enquire for other UK and international delivery price. 

W: 213cm | D: 46cm | H: 70cm

£3950

 Enquire  

A beautifully simple and sleek design by Martin Hall, with carefully chosen wild-figured rosewood creating a dramatic frieze. Superb quality construction, and a lovely contrast between the rich rosewood of the exterior and blond maple interior. Fully re-polished in the Hayloft workshop. This example has the rarer aluminium handles.

Gordon Russell Marlow Rosewood Sideboard
Gordon Russell Rosewood sideboard

Gordon Russell Marlow Rosewood SideboardGordon Russell Marlow Rosewood Sideboard
Gordon Russell Marlow Rosewood Sideboard

Gordon Russell (1892 – 1980)

Sir Gordon Russell, CBE, MC, RDI, FSIA was a designer, craftsman, educator and champion of accessible, well crafted design. Schooled in the Arts and Crafts tradition of the Cotswolds he believed that good design has a lasting impact on people’s lives.

Together with his father, Gordon Russell founded Russell of Broadway in 1922, resuming his pre-war design work and designing over 1000 products during the 1920s. During the 1930s, a team of designers were employed. Russell & Sons manufactured the cabinets for Murphy radios during this period.

Russell played a major public role throughout the war. He was appointed by the Government to lead the design panel set up to manufacture utility furniture, receiving a CBE In recognition of his contribution. In 1944, Russell was invited to join Board of Trade discussions to set up a national body to promote higher standards of industrial design, and in 1955 he received a knighthood in recognition of his services to Design and Industry.

Following WW2, ‘Curly’ Russell led the design team. Ray Leigh was appointed as design director in 1967, and Trevor Chinn became Chief `in house designer` with Martin Hall leading the design team.